[simpits-tech] Saitek yoke opinions?

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Aug 1 07:23:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, bjones at pipecomp.com.au wrote:

> Gene will never be tired of scratch building........ Common don't lie to
> us!!  :)

Ben it's gotten to the point where I have a choice.  I can spend the time
building some accessory I need, or I can buy it and actually have time to
USE it.

For example, the collimated display project requires a whole new cockpit
from the ground up.  I could spend a pile of time building out all the
systems that will be needed, or I can save a ton of time by either buying
or re-purposing what I need.

I'm going for two aircraft configurations, one will be a center-stick
fighter type and the other will be a yoke based GA type.  I'll build a new
seat, instrument panel & side console boxes and then drop-in commercial
controls.  I figured I'd rather take the debt hit than spend another pile
of hours that would eventually cost the same in time and materials.

The GA rig will be glass and will use a re-cased Elite radio stack.  The
combat rig will also be glass with some random military panels thrown in
for looks.

I really, really want to get back to work on the F-15 as well.  Friday I
found an 8" 800x600 LCD panel that I'll be able to use in the MPCD.  The
current build uses a 7" mono VGA display which isn't correct, but was all
I could find at the time.  The 8" display should fit within the MPCD
enclosure so I can keep it as a removable "box".  The VSD (radar) display
uses a 5" mono VGA display that has some "tearing" issues at the top
corner of the display.  I'll look into curing that, but if I can't, I've
got a 5.6" color LCD panel I can drop in there.  Because of research Mike
Powell did on building non-collimated HUDs, I may be able to rebuild the
HUD I have in such a way as to make it usable.  I've got pretty much all
the parts & electronics I need for the F-15, so I just need to sit down
and start the integration process.

by the clean end.