[simpits-tech] I really should have seen this coming...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Sep 7 14:36:13 PDT 2010

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Gene Buckle wrote:
(forgot to add something...)

The chips the Centipede uses can't direct-drive loads greater than what an
LED would typically consume (20mA each - the chip has a max of 24mA, per
pin).  However, they can source enough current at 5VDC to easily drive
what is known as a "logic-level" MOSFET.  This means that you can build a
little circuit to use MOSFETs to drive relays, motors, incandescent bulbs,
or other devices that require more than 20mA at 5VDC to run.

A good choice for driving lamps is a BS270.  It comes in a TO-92 package
and is dirt cheap.  They'll handle 400mA, which is perfect for lamps and
can handle up to 60VDC.  If you have a really high power need, the IRL620
comes in a TO-220 package and will handle up to 10A at (I think) over
100VDC.

Here's a nice description of using a MOSFET as a switch, using the BS270
part mentioned earlier:
http://brunningsoftware.co.uk/FET.htm