[simpits-tech] hybrid cockpit build...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Oct 10 14:14:09 PDT 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, David C. Allen wrote:

>> Not quite yet.  I haven't started assembling the parts in Inventor yet.
>> There are _zero_ dimensions on the SketchUp model.  It makes things
>> problematic.
>
> What is the material thickness?

All those parts are 3/4"

>> Note - for those that look at a jig saw in awe, stay the hell away from
>> this project.  It's NOT builder friendly. :)
>
> What sim project is? They are all off the deep end of the pool!

Well it started out with a project a guy was posting about - he'd done the
artwork in SketchUp for his project.  It's a "stand-off" scale Embraer
Legacy 600.  He showed the SketchUp model pics on MyCockpit.org and they
went nuts for it.  I asked for and receieved a copy of the SketchUp model
in exchange for DXF files.  I don't know if he knew you could use SketchUp
Pro for 8 hours - it can export DXF files easily.

There's no annotation at all in the model - it's very obviously not a
project he expected others to build.  There's partial geometry present
that screams, "I'm gonna see how that looks" in a few spots.

I've actually got the center console done in Inventor - here's what it
looks like right now:
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/images/center_console_test.png

There's more work to do on it of course.  I've got to examine the model
more to see what needs to get tweaked a bit.

I also have the top & bottom rails for the instrument panel support as
well as the stiles for it drawn, but not knowing how wide & higha de-cased
17" LCD panel is, I want to wait until I've got that detail before
finishing it.

AFAIK, the instrument panel will take 2 17" panels for the capt & fo sides
and a 15" panel for the standbys and EICAS.  One more would fit out the
FMS pair mounted in the center console.  If you look for Embraer 145+
pics, you'll get an idea of the general layout.

The dimensions that Roy gave me will go towards making a 3D model that is
close in appearance to the rams' horn style used in the 600 and other
newer Embraer models.  It would look neat carved out of a baltic birch
laminate.  I've never used the Cut-3D program I bought with the 'bot and
it would be an interesting subject to carve.

I may never build this thing, but it sure is fun fiddling with it. :)