[simpits-tech] Tanker TTC records:

Brian Sikkema brian at sikkema.us
Wed Nov 3 07:39:11 PDT 2010

http://records.fai.org/general_aviation/current.asp?id1=134&id2=4

Note the climb to 15,000 Meters (just over 49,000 feet), 8 minutes 15
seconds. That's a SUSTAINED rate of climb of 6,000FPM to almost 50,000
feet! Record set in 1988, still current. :P

Interesting side note, last time I deployed that tail, 3554, was out
there. It's the only Active Duty tanker I'm aware of that still has nose
art (the Cherokee Rose). Also while I was there, it got struck by
lightning, blew off a couple panels near the HF antenna on the tail!
lol. I was up while it happened, heard the chatter on the radio. Got
some pics of the damage around here somewhere.... They ended up pulling
the HF probe antenna off and flying it back to the states like that for
repairs. Looked really weird without that big probe on the tail.

Brian