[simpits-tech] Why Gene shouldn't do math.

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jun 18 14:17:16 PDT 2010

I suspect you've all seen my absurdly large screen by now.  If not,
behold:

http://www.simpits.org/geneb/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/six-segments-3.jpg

That screen is six of the 8 segments needed to build a 180 degree screen
that's right around 24' in diameter.

The size of that thing has been bugging me ever since I built it.

I started working through the figures again.  Yell if I screw it up
(again):

Each projector can display a 110" wide image.  Three of them would require
a screen 330 inches wide.  Now I want to display this on a screen that
covers a field of view that's 180 to 225 degrees.

Now going on the assumtion that those 330 inches of screen would be pretty
close to a circle that's 660 inches in circumference, right?  Right.

So a circle that's 660 inches in circumference works out to a diameter of
roughly 210 inches or 17.5 feet.

I can honestly say that I have no farking clue where I came up with a
screen diameter of 24 feet.  It must have been a math induced brain fever
or something.

Back to the drawing board I go....