[simpits-tech] Whats happenin?

Brian Sikkema brian at Sikkema.us
Thu Aug 26 07:53:34 PDT 2010

  On 08/27/2010 11:38 PM, Ido Dekkers wrote:
> the question is not how old is the platform but how old is the oldest
> actual plane still flying ?

Oldest tanker I'm aware of is a 1957 model.

The B-52s are around the same vintage as us, and some C-130s aren't much
younger.

An interesting fact I read recently in the tanker debate. Right now the
Air Force has over 400 KC-135s still in inventory. In the civilian
world, there are >>>4<<< 707's still in service - ANYWHERE.

Civilian airlines recapitalize their fleets every 10-15 years, because
it's cheaper in the long run to do it that way. Maintenance costs on old
planes are substantial. DoD procurement, however, isn't up to that task,
unfortunately....

Brian