[simpits-tech] 0..5VDC DAC output...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Aug 13 13:21:40 PDT 2010

Ok, after doing a bit of research I found a part from Microchip (MCP4725)
that is an I2C device with a 12 bit resolution.  It's actually less
expensive than the 10 bit equivalent to this device.  It's a tiny 6 pin
surface mount part (SOT-23).

SparkFun sells them on a breakout board for $4.95:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8736

Microchip also offers a 10 bit quad DAC (MCP4728) in a 10 pin MSOP-10
package.  This part also uses the I2C bus and has three programmable
address bits (stored in on-board EEPROM) so you can hang a total of 8
chips on a single I2C bus.  This would allow you to control (potentially)
32 DAC channels.

All the devices are rated for a 25mA max per output, but the description
of the maximum is vague enough ("Current at output pins") that I'm not
sure if that max is for a single output or all outputs combined.

The most bang for the buck would be the quad DAC at $2.06 each vs $1.06
for the single channel DAC.

David, what you driving that requires such a tiny current draw?