[simpits-tech] 16 channel output board is done!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Aug 8 08:57:13 PDT 2010

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, Sean Galbraith wrote:

> ...and I am assuming my name is already there... right Gene?
> Oh, and excellent work, as usual :)

Thanks Sean.  I'll post to the list when the boards show up.

Leo Bodnar brought a good point to my attention yesterday.  While the
UL2803 can indeed handle 500mA per channel max, that's not what the
devices as a whole can sustain.

I never thought to check, but the part has a max draw per channel of about
150mA if you're driving all 8 at the same time.  The Toshiba datasheet for
the part I'm using states a max dissipation of 1.47W.  At 5 volts, that's
only 294mA.  At the voltage I want to drive it at (24vDC), it's less than
100mA.

This is great for driving LEDs, but completely sucks for driving
incandescent bulbs or more than one or two relays.  Just about every
single digital output board that I've ever seen has _never_ mentioned this
limitation.

When time permits, I'll look into crafting up a little daughter board that
will hold 16 power transistors that can source up to an amp each.  What'll
drive you guys crazy is in order to turn an output ON, you'll have to turn
the corresponding Gaz16 channel OFF. :)  The good news is that I took this
into account when I developed the firmware so it won't be too bad.  The
board would need to drive all the outputs high on boot though - again, a
simple tweak to the firmware.  Could even be made an EEPROM storable
setting like the board ID is now.

How many of you downloaded the design and looked at the firmware source?
It's the .PDE file in the archive - it's plain text.