[simpits-tech] FSX computer recomendations?

William Segal catalina299 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:42:02 PDT 2010

let me give you some thoughts :and notes
My system built 8 months ago
I started with a HAF 132 chasis because it has 3 210mm fans and is very cool
(quiet,clean)running  $150

A gold  1100 watt power supply  $279( here we have ENERGY STAR) which means
very efficient electric system this PSI can run at 1470 MAX all
day(overhead)

A classified mother board the first out  $500(this was over the top but I
wanted the best) .It has never missed a beat usually first time out has
issue this has none

6 gigs corsair dominator GT  2000 speed ram  $350 then

i7 2.66 with the overclocking pin now stock, 4.0gigs easily possible $255

Dual Evga  285 OC with 2 gigs each total 4 gigs SLI 2.0 bridged both for
$1000

I have had raptors before I don't like them if I wanted to go crazy I would
go to SCSI 15,000 RPM drives with a Promise caching controller W/256 megs of
cache

I went with a Seagate Barracuda III 1.5 gigs from Fry's $120

A friend put it together for $100

It runs a tripleheadtogo to run 3 -24inch  LCD monitors at 1680 X1050
converts 3 monitors into 1 big one  5040X1050

This has not had a gulp or a crash it sometimes runs 15 hours a day perfect.
X-Plane is still 32 bit should it go to 64 bit
then I have total of 10 gigs .

I live in Southern California we have high temps and it rarely get below 40F
at night daytime ave is 63F year around but
 summers are always 75-85-95-105F still this baby runs like a clock

Total price total price about $3000  these figures include shipping because
California 10% sales tax most item were bought in
 NY city or New Jersey except the power supply and MOBO were bought direct
from EVGA .

note: of all the card suppliers EVGA was the best not only a live person
tech support. We needed to know exactly how much
the video cards drew in power full out. Nvidia won't talk,ATI would not talk
AMD the same but a VP at Evga would and told me
exactly in watts what each card drew maximum. This private information which
we got and nobody else would talk about it .
That is how I got a 20amp system to run at 20 amps exactly and never have a
giitch.

I found out the, top end at that time, the 295 extreme with prox 1700MEGS
although no one ever expressed a maximum
requirement  for power we found out 1 card needed 550 watts to run flat out
. This new 480 and AMD you need to know
for sure that information before you buy a power supply unless you buy a
2000 watt PSI or run only 1 card .

The biggest issue on computers today is under powered PSI

After all most a year since we started planning for this system I have to
say its been a wonderful experience

one last thought

4 years ago I wanted to build the hottest gamer you could get .Nobody had
ever even heard the words SLI no one built
a Mobo to run more than one. I did

The hottest video cards on the planet were Geforce 7800GTX 512megs each the
only mobo that would run 2 at once was

was a SuperMicro a server board .Server boards can be from 13inch X 13
inches to 2 feet X 2feet

They need a special case

With 2 gigs of ram and Supermicro 750watt server board I ran flight
simulator with every feature to the limit at 60FPS over Manhattan

at control height but it ran hot,Dirty and sounded like a jet engine . I got
fed up with it and gave it to Rick Davis Shelburne Nova Scotia

because its cold up there and I figured it would run better . I had to break
my piggy bank on that one and beg mummy for some more

 money.

Regards

William Segal

sorry for bad writting I am not college boy