[simpits-tech] cutting knobs...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Sep 22 18:08:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, William Segal wrote:

> I guess I don't understand it because it would so much easier using a
> hydrualic Router ?

The problem isn't the method of cutting, it was the twist of the cutter I
was using.

The downshear cutter geometry is designed to apply downward pressure
against the part being cut.  This helps with holding the part down.
During the cutting process this tends to pack the material chips into the
channel that's left behind by the cutter.  This helps with vacuum hold
down like I use when cutting full sheets of material.  The problem comes
with the e acrylic.  The chips are not being thrown out of the cut and as
a result the cutter is hitting them again, cutting them smaller and
melting them due to the high friction.

An upshear or "O" flute cutter doesn't have this problem because it
"pulls" the material as it cuts it, throwing the chips out of the cut.

Had I used an upshear cutter (I don't have one at the moment), I would not
have had the re-melt problem I had with the downshear cutter.