[simpits-tech] Cockpit mystery...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Jul 27 21:12:00 PDT 2009

A friend of mine has recently gotten a 747-300 flight deck for use as a
simulator cockpit.

Take a peek at this picture:
http://www.geneb.org/patio_jet.jpg

The mystery involves the big "T" shaped patch that's on the side of the
cockpit.  The same patch is on the other side.  According to the
documentation he has, the aircraft has never been involved in an incident
that would require this kind of reinforcement patch.  Cathay Pacific won't
release the maintenance records to him.  I'm wondering if this is the
result of some kind of Airworthyness Directive.  I figured that there are
a number of Boeing pit builders here and that one of you might know what
the patch is all about.

Thanks!