[simpits-tech] load cell amp...

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 11:14:36 PDT 2009

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Gene Buckle wrote:

> > I have luckily found a Hann caged-pot assembly in my "bits box" that will
> > do the Eurofighter stick for me so have already progressed that route.
> > That used LVDT's anyway, not load cells.
> >
> Ahh, ok.  My understanding of what an LVDT is was faulty.

There seem to be a new breed of DC LVDT's but my understanding of the
typical setup is that you feed an AC signal into coil A, and then read
that signal back from coil B.  The magnet which forms the moving part of
the device causes a phase-shift between input and output - it is this that
gives you your position, normally presented as a voltage thanks to the
clever black boxes you normally hang these things on.

Anyone know anything about the uber-sweet new hall-effect devices that can
be used as a straight swap for pots?

Hmm... toys....

--

Roy Coates.