[simpits-tech] Beta Innovations resurfaces...kinda.

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Jul 6 08:58:26 PDT 2009

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Roy Coates wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Gene Buckle wrote:
>

> The difference between an enthusiast and a capitalist is all about decimal
> places then eh?

It's entirely possible that he sold the product line to this new outfit,
but somehow I doubt it.  He's always had a very combative relationship
with the simulator community.  I think it started when he over-committed
on hardware production based on community input and when the sales didn't
materialize, he nearly went under.  I suspect he blamed the community for
that and any troubles since.  Had he made a smaller commitment in
hardware, I think things would have come out much differently.  Had he
spent the time to do the research, it would have become quite apparent
that what the "community" says it will do and what it actually *does* tend
to be two different things when money is involved. :)  Another good rule
to follow is "cash in advance". ;)

What kills me is the fact that the BI hardware is so damn *good*.  The
only true competition he had commercially was EPIC and that's still a
fantastic platform.

There's some work being done with the PHCC hardware line to bring it
closer to something a non-hardcore geek can handle, which will be good
for all of us.

The good thing about BI going away is the surge in uptake of the PHCC
hardware (http://phcc.varxec.net/wiki/Main_Page for those that aren't
familiar with it) within the F-16 cockpit building community over at
viperpits.org.  Those guys have made huge strides in using the stuff that
Manuel Bessler has created.  The only down side is that there are not
(yet) pre-assembled boards available.  I'm sure it won't be long though.
Even as kits, they're easy to solder up and have no surface mount parts.
I've built some of the hardware, but I haven't had a chance to do more
than smoke test it after assembly.

I'm seriously considering tearing out all the BI hardware support from my
CIM application and replacing it with support for the PHCC serial protocol
and possibly adding EPIC support.  Mike Powell's new book has been sent
off to the publisher and he's got a ton of electronic projects that I
could support as well.  He's designed a cheap digital to synchro converter
that I've been lusting after from the moment he posted pictures of it. :)
That project is the only way the ADI & HSI in my F-15 will ever operate.