[simpits-tech] Offtopic - Simple binary logging

Alex Wiebe alex at flyinglow.ca
Sun Jan 4 17:34:41 PST 2009

Hi guys - this is sort of off topic (although some may find related
benefit):

I would like to read the state of 4 switches and for 3 of them log how many
seconds of every minute they are on, and for the other log the number of
times it is 'pressed' in a given minute. I'm thinking it should be straight
forward to write a C++ program to read the state of the 4 joystick buttons,
however, this is proving to be a bit cumbersome.

Does anyone have a basic joystick button testing program in their toolkit
they'd mind sharing the source with me?

Thanks,
Alex

(PS - I'm trying to build a utility monitor. The counting switch is
essentially the number of revolutions of my power meter, and the other 3 are
status indicators of the heating elements in my furnace and hot water tank.)