[simpits-tech] Today's Lesson is ...

Brian Sikkema brian at sikkema.us
Thu Aug 20 01:46:14 PDT 2009

> Ha ha. I did that one. I used to wipe my soldering pencil off on the shirt
> tail of my old cotton work shirt sometimes.
>
> Don't try it on the brand new 75.00 Woolrich Polar Fleece pullover you got
> for Christmas three days ago!
>
> I still haven't lived that one down.

Once when I was in High school I was laying in bed and wanted to read a
book. My bed lamp wouldn't turn on, and after a bit of fumbling I found
it was unplugged. So I plugged it in, and found it still wouldn't work.
So I said eff it and went to sleep. Or at least tried to... A short time
later I'm puzzled by a very nasty smell in my room - and no, not the "we
went to Taco Bell for dinner" nasty smell, that one doesn't usually
puzzle me. Anyway, I pop on the lights in my room and find my soldering
iron laying next to the bed melting very nicely into the carpet and the
plastic chair mat by my desk (it was laying kind of half-on half-off).
Turns out I had plugged that in instead of my lamp! It was a Radioshack
cheapie with no switch or anything like that....

Nothing to help keep you from sleeping like almost burning down the house.

Brian