[simpits-tech] How do I create a selective start....

Sean Galbraith Sean.Galbraith at pacificsimulators.com
Mon Aug 10 14:45:44 PDT 2009

Well chaps.. it works!

I can now plug in a USB Key (Yep.. I now call them my "Skyhawk Keys"...)
and start my sim in either FS9, Wings Over Europe or "Maintenance".

The final, easiest solution was to write a really simple bat file, and
place it in the Startup folder.  The bat file looks at the USB Key (if
it's there) for a specific file.  If it finds that file it starts the
relevant sim.
The bat file is really *really* simple;

*========================================*
@echo off
f:
cd\
if exist maint.txt goto maint
if exist WOE.txt goto woe

:fs9
echo Starting FS2004
c:
cd\
cd\fs9
fs9.exe
goto end

:woe
echo Starting Wings Over Europe
c:
cd\
cd "Wings Over Europe"
WOE.exe
goto end

:Maint
echo "Starting in Maint Mode"

:end

*========================================*
On the USB key I have a file called woe.txt so on startup the bat file
runs, finds woe.bat and jumps to the bit which runs Wings Over Europe.
I also have another key with maint.bat on it, which starts just the PC,
and no sim software.
With no USB key inserted, the sim starts in FS9, which is what I will
normally be running.

I am really pleased with the result, now I just need to design and build
a Cool setup for the key, probably in a panel with loads of flashing
lights and stuff :)

SeanG