[simpits-tech] How do I create a selective start....

Sean Galbraith sean.g at paradise.net.nz
Fri Aug 7 14:30:18 PDT 2009

>It's actually pretty easy to do that very thing.
>
>The first thing you need to do is plug in the USB key to the port you're
>always going to use.  You need to make sure that Autorun is enabled for
>the drive letter that the USB key maps to. (You can do this via TweakUI)
>
>Then create a batch file in the root directory of the USB key that
>contains the following: (call it "startsim.bat")
>
>cd \path to the simulator home directory
><name of simulator program>.exe
>
>You can find both the home path and name of the .exe in the properties of
>the shortcut or start menu item that starts the sim.
>
>Next, create a file called autorun.inf, which also needs to be in the root
>directory of the USB key.  It should have the following lines in it
>
>[autorun]
>open=startsim.bat
>
>...and that's it!  Stick the key into your sim computer and the autorun
>function will start whatever simulator you've set up!
>
>I suppose I should write this up for the simpits.org site. :)

That's pretty cool, hadn't though of the autorun idea!  Means I could
get two bites at it;  First, add a shortcut to startsim.bat into the
startup group (or use group policy to run it) so that if the key is
in there it will start the sim automagically on windows start, and
secondly, by poking the key in with the PC running will start the
chosen sim....  Now that *is* cool!

Righto, off to write a batch file and put it on a USB key!

SeanG