[simpits-tech] Mike's New Book.

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Thu Aug 6 16:38:38 PDT 2009

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Gene Buckle wrote:

> Which book did you order?

The Myke Predko one that Mike Powell recommended.

> When working on the PHCC, I picked up a neat
> serial PIC programmer for something like $9 on eBay.  IT's a "jdec" or
> something programmer.  Very simple but works on nearly the whole line of
> PICs that Microchip makes.  (They have a chip fab not far from my house)
> The programmer I have is identical to this one on eBay, auction #330349835699.

Neat - found one on Ebay UK.  It's mine now !

I've been meaning to get into PIC's for a long time now, Mike's book has
given me the final push I needed.  Bastard !!   ;-)

> One of the coolest projects in the BRFS book is on building a Digital to
> Synchro converter board.  This will allow you to drive real aircraft
> instruments like artifical horizons and HSIs.  Before this project came
> about, a DtS converter would run you anywhere from $400-$1000 per channel.
> Mikes design brings that down to a few dollars per channel. :)

Absolutely. There was a guy in the UK selling home-brewed drivers for
about 200 USD - and people were buying em.

> For those living in a box, his site address is
> http://www.mikesflightdeck.com - there's a PDF available with sample
> chapters.

Yeah, what gene said.

Roy.