[simpits-tech] Good lord what are they thinking?!?!?

Brian Sikkema bjsikkem at gimail.af.mil
Sat Sep 13 22:28:59 PDT 2008

Well it's official, Wednesday my partner and I took (and passed) our sim checkride, this coming Friday they are actually gonna
let my goofy ass fly a real tanker...

The Air Force is going to hell in a handbasket, I tells ya... rofl

Incidently I saw something very cool at work the other day. They had mounted on a wall in one of the buildings at Altus part of
the old "visual board" from the old sims. Basically before the advent of computer graphics, they had a giant (I wanna say like
78'x30' or around there) scale diorama, basically, and a tv camera moved around it and projected the image on screens in front of
the cockpit.

The section they had mounted on the wall was about 6'x6', they said the whole board cost like 1.2 mil and was in service at Altus
from 1975-1980. Pretty neat looking. Oh and they had a picture of it in use, and the edge of the board was lined with a mirror,
which of course would extend the visual "range," but leads to an interesting question... what happens when you fly straight at
the mirror? "Dive! Dive! We're headed straight for a giant tv camera!!!" lol.

Oh, they also have a nicely restored Link trainer in the KC-135 sim building, complete with instructor station. *drool*

Brian