[simpits-tech] visuals

Brian Sikkema bjsikkem at gimail.af.mil
Tue Oct 14 15:59:17 PDT 2008

I highly doubt it's a portable setup.

Of the Air Force sims I've flown (T-6, T-1, KC-135,
B-1B) all but the T-1 were some sort of spherical
screen. The KC-135 and B-1B were spherical mirrors
with rear projection collimated screens. The T-6 was
just a spherical screen with collimated projections.

My guess is that to make a screen setup like the
one's I've flow that would give enough FOV for
practice in a close-in turning fight would be
extremely difficult. The hexagonal screens should
allow for a much better FOV, especially in the vertical.

The lack of blurriness might also be a factor...
while good enough for what each of the preceding
aircraft does, from what I've seen collimated
projections seem to always have an area of blurriness
and visual issues right where the projections come
together. I don't think they can make the line
"crisp" enough to avoid some projector overlap.
Again, in a dogfight situation, this might be critical.

Brian

wrinkled or damaged? A
circle thing is a bitch to set up I'll bet, unless
its a permanent
installation. That can be shipped anywhere easily and
if you can open a
suitcase you could set it up.

??