[simpits-tech] Using pots for position sensing

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 05:27:43 PDT 2008

Chaps.
      This is something we all an answer too I'm sure !

For all my current projects, I use a cheapo joystick (Logitech Wingman) to
give me the interface electronics for my project. These are cheap and
require no custom software since the PC still thinks its a regular
joystick. All I have to do is mount whatever 100k pots I need to detect
throttle, pitch/roll/yaw etc.

But.. and the big but is - how to physically operate the pot? With rotary
pots it's hard to get a full sweep, impossible if you try to use a simple
bell-crank setup. And linear pots are generally fairly fragile so you
don't want to put any strain on either end of it's movement.

Have any of you come up with a solution?

In the past I've made little gearboxes to give me a full sweep, or used a
higher value pot so that I only need a partial sweep.

Ideas people please!

Cheers,

Roy.

--