[simpits-tech] CRJ 700 Question

Sander van der Moolen sander at vpilot.net
Tue Nov 18 23:07:13 PST 2008

Hi Clyde,

Great to see another regional jet builder! Unfortunately, for us there's not
so much ready-made available. I'll try and answer your questions as best I
can:

1) Switches and knobs.
If you look closely at the different FS hardware shops, you can sometimes
use Boeing or Airbus style knobs for your project because they're pretty
close to what they look like in a CRJ. For switches, buttons, rotary knobs,
etc and electronics you should search the electronics shops like Conrad.

2) FD's are not so much a problem, like you said you can use computer
screens behind the front plate. However, you will have to build that front
plate yourself.

3) The yoke, you may be able to get that from a salvager (real ones!) or you
could have a look at www.routech.ro they make lots of yokes and
flightsticks. I've seen their work at the FS Weekend, and it's excellent
stuff. Pedals, now that will probably be another DIY project...

4) Dimensions: You could try and get your hands on a handbook, those should
have plenty of dimensions. Also search and ask in forums etc, if you're
lucky someone already has some dimensions. I've gotten a lot of dimensions
by finding out some specific dimensions, then by using a detailed cockpit
photo and a ruler I've extrapolated the other dimensions.

5) Center pedestal: That one will most likely be a DIY project.

I'm building an ERJ, so I'm facing many of the challenges you face as well.
Here's another challenge for you: software. How are you going to make your
cockpit come to life? I haven't seen any CRJ software.

For wood, I can recommend plywood for structural work because it's light and
strong, and for the detailed panels you could use MDF because it's easy to
machine and very smooth.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Sander