[simpits-tech] Project update - RIVETS!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Nov 20 18:58:22 PST 2008

Take a peek at the following pictures:

http://www.geneb.org/pitkit/skin

It's a step-by-step illustration of how you can use standard aluminum
rivets to skin a home built cockpit.

The rivets were treated just like nails.  You drill an under-sized pilot
hole and then tap them in with a mallet that has a plastic face.  The
rivet heads are relatively soft and by using a plastic mallet, you won't
mar the head.  You then apply a little CA to the back side and that glues
the skin to the frame.  On the next one, I'll be using a longer rivet that
will allow me to wick CA on the rivet only to lock it in place instead of
using the amount of CA that I did on the test part.

This was an example done to illustrate that it not only can be done
easily, but it looks great too!

I ran a few flush rivets as well just to show how that looked.  The flush
rivets I had didn't have a long enough reach to go through the tempered
hardboard plus the 1/2" OSB strigers, so I didn't do very many.  I've got
ones with a longer reach on order and the next skin application will be
done half in flush and half in round head rivets just to give a better
visual contrast.

Pretty neat, innit? :)