[simpits-tech] A flight control gimbal project...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Nov 13 15:00:27 PST 2008

During the course of working on the cockpit designs for the plan set, I
needed to come up with a primary flight control gimbal that was easy to
build and didn't require any expensive tools to make.

After not having much success bulding a "cost reduced" version on my own,
I started hanging out on the #flightgear IRC channel and discussing
various ways to do this.  Well after looking at the way dozens of
different homebuilt aircraft did their control rigging, a user named
Jentron came up with a very simple design that used a 4" single-gang
electrical extension box as its core.

Well my version of this gimbal is now completed and since it was developed
in conjuction with someone else, I wanted to make sure I made the designs
available for other people to use.

I've put up a page that describes how it goes together here:

http://www.geneb.org/pitkit/jentron_mk2/index.html

The instructions aren't complete, but they will be shortly.  I'll include
a DXF file of the pitch axis bearing blocks because those you can't
ballpark the dimensions on.

Enjoy!

"I tried wrapping my brain around VI... now I know why people need coffee
mugs with VI commands on it. At least it ain't Emacs. Those guys need
THREE coffee mugs."