[simpits-tech] windscreen frame...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Nov 3 06:54:02 PST 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, delor lauchang wrote:

> start with  selecting canopy type at  http://toddscanopies.com/ this company
> in florida makes different canopies at very reasonable price.

I bet they do.  However, this isn't for a real airplane.  The cost of a
"real" custom built aircraft canopy would exceed the entire raw material
cost of the simulator cockpit itself by several orders of magnitude.

For example, the prototype I'm working on right now is made from two
sheets of 1/2", 4x8 OSB.  Total material cost: $14.

I'm working up a couple of different methods of getting a windscreen &
canopy frame designs done that won't impact the current design.

I've nearly got the third version of the flight control gimbal done - it's
actually easier to build than the prior two designs and doesn't require
any custom acrylic parts - everything can be had in the electrical parts
aisle at your local home center.

http://www.simpits.org/~geneb/new_gimbal2.jpg

The above picture shows how it goes together.  The original idea came from
a nice gent named Jentron on the #flightgear IRC channel.

The birch ply parts were cut on the bot, but can be easily cut out using a
jig saw, scroll saw or a band saw.