[simpits-tech] Jay's F-16...

David C. Allen allendc at qwest.net
Wed May 28 14:23:41 PDT 2008

At 01:51 PM 5/28/2008 -0700, you wrote:
> > Yeah, I was a little intimidated by the bucking type rivets as I didn't
> > really know how to do those properly.
> >
>I'm hoping the EAA will add a riveting tutorial video.   I've never seen a
>rivet placed from the bucking-bar side of the process.

You guys are making it to complex, Get a bar and some rivet sets and
practice shooting.

You will need some rivet drills for the different size rivets

-3 3/32 rivets #40 drill
-4 1/8 rivets #30 drill
-5 5/32 rivets #21 drill
-6 3/16 rivets #11 drill

I use a cheap harbor freight impact gun. Set the air pressure to the
gun so that 3 bumps of the trigger sets the rivet. (on my junk gun
its 60 psi for a 1/8 rivet)

Since you are building a sim, (Non-Structural) you can use "soft"
Code A rivets. In the real world Structural applications you would
use a AD rivet.

All you need to know is the shop side of the rivet should protrude
11/2 x the Dia of the rivet.

The shop head should be formed to 1.5 x the rivet Dia, and should be
.5 x the rivet Dia tall.

So a .125 rivet should protrude .1875"

The shop head should be when formed .1875 DIA . The size of the head
can vary from .15625 low side to .2075 on the high side.

The height of the head should be .0625" But it can vary from .04125" to .0825"

Remember if you dislike the way the "set' rivet looks, you can always
drill it out and redo it, nobody knows!

David
www.737FlightSim.com