[simpits-tech] Jay's F-16...

Joseph Fagner crease-guard at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 28 13:45:33 PDT 2008

Yeah, I was a little intimidated by the bucking type rivets as I didn't really know how to do those properly.

  Skinning will be the last thing I do.  I'm thinking of running the strake as a permanant fixture, then making the top and bottom panels into two sections each that can be removed to gain access to the inside.  I just haven't quite figured out how to do it yet.  But I'm a ways away from that.

  Jay

Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
  > I'm using cherry type rivets and a cheapo pneumatic rivet gun from the
> local tool shop. I found a bunch of counter sunk rivets on fleabay a
> while back that had the perfect pull for using .125" stock sheet and
> angle. I've got handfulls of other types of rivets for other spots.
> The left console panel was a kit I bought from Martin over in the EU.
> I used regular cheapo pop rivets for that as I couldn't locate cheap
> rivets of the proper size and pull and did not want to spend the fortune
> it costs to buy the rivets from an aircraft company.

So they're countersunk "pop" rivets then?

FYI, AN standard rivets are about $20 a pound from Aircraft Spruce for the
.125 x 1/2" version. Those are of course "real" rivets that you need a
bucking bar & rivet gun for. I've not priced the other types.

> I did, however, have to finally bite the bullet and buy pull type
> rivets for the nutplates as I simply could not find those as
> surplus...as well as the floating type nutplate. They were pricey but
> after installing them, I wish I had just bit the bullet sooner and used
> them as they are really perfect for many spots.

Nut plates are indeed very nice when working with metal. I'm still
debating on whether or not to skin the cockpit prototype with .040" sheet
metal. (galvanized steel - aluminum is frighteningly expensive for the
sheet sizes I need)

> I TIG welded the angle brackets to the ribs but then riveted that to
> the side walls. I found out the hard way that welding large flat pieces
> does not work well.

Hehee. Yow. :)

> I wish I had seen that little video series you posted up yesterday. I
> watched the part about deburring and I have not been doing that right.
> Luckily, this isn't going to fly and probably won't make a difference.

I haven't had a chance to look at that one. The site is great, but the
daisy-chained auto-play videos are annoying as hell.

tnx!

To unsubscribe, please see the instructions at the bottom of the above page. Thanks!