[simpits-tech] Jay's F-16...

Joseph Fagner crease-guard at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 28 12:06:05 PDT 2008

I'm using cherry type rivets and a cheapo pneumatic rivet gun from the local tool shop.  I found a bunch of counter sunk rivets on fleabay a while back that had the perfect pull for using .125" stock sheet and angle.  I've got handfulls of other types of rivets for other spots.  The left console panel was a kit I bought from Martin over in the EU.  I used regular cheapo pop rivets for that as I couldn't locate cheap rivets of the proper size and pull and did not want to spend the fortune it costs to buy the rivets from an aircraft company.

  I did, however, have to finally bite the bullet and buy pull type rivets for the nutplates as I simply could not find those as surplus...as well as the floating type nutplate.  They were pricey but after installing them, I wish I had just bit the bullet sooner and used them as they are really perfect for many spots.

  I TIG welded the angle brackets to the ribs but then riveted that to the side walls.  I found out the hard way that welding large flat pieces does not work well.

  I wish I had seen that little video series you posted up yesterday.  I watched the part about deburring and I have not been doing that right.  Luckily, this isn't going to fly and probably won't make a difference.

  Jay

Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
  Jay, are you using Rivnuts to put that framework together or are you
bucking AN style flathead rivets?

tnx.

To unsubscribe, please see the instructions at the bottom of the above page. Thanks!