[simpits-tech] Wide display idea and FPGAs

KD chevello at rcn.com
Tue May 13 19:25:46 PDT 2008

Here is an interesting idea for a wide display that I saw at IITSEC last
November. I've been meaning to tell you guys, but this last week I have
had a chance to think about it again.

What it is, is 3 flat displays, 2 in the usual locations on each side,
but the third is above the 2 facing down with a mirror to reflect the
image between the 2 side displays. The one I saw was made up of 42" or
50" plasma screens, so it was not only huge, but expensive. . The image
was W I D E, I tell ya, and seamless. I think the mirror was curved, but
you got a continuous image from about 2 FEET either side of center,
making the sweet spot 4 or 5 feet wide. It would be great, if you have
the means, for a side by side aircraft.  I've been thinking of trying it
with small LCDs just to see if it would work. I think I have seen
somewhere front surface mirrored lexan or plexi that could be bent to
the curve. I don't know how to figure the curve, but if you can do it,
it might be a neat Shopbot project to make the parts to hold the mirror.

See Gene, you buy the equipment and I'll figure out wacky ways to use it. :)

Also, have any of you guys messed around with FPGAs? I ran across them
today, and they look like a neat thing. THere seemed to be tons of ways
to use them in sims that flounced through my brain while I was looking
at the projects on the page that I found. Here is where I found the info
I was looking at. www.fpga4fun.com