[simpits-tech] Lurk over

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sat May 10 09:22:49 PDT 2008

> arrive as templates along with the ribs. Maybe even make the templates
> out of 1/4" masonite or something easier (cheaper) to ship. What about
> entire template kits? All 1/4" masonite or MDF. Trace and cut! It's easy
> to build your own sim pit! Just a few suggestions that I thought of
> while reading.

Now THIS is an interesting idea!  Include a few screw holes for attaching
the template to the raw material and Joe Builder could use a cheap router
to cut the ribs out with.  I could make templates for all the "hard"
parts....

> otherwise. There is a patented process called Tannas-Sizing where they
> actually cut the LCD screen to make it the correct shape and size for
> what is needed. From what I have been told, they first cut one glass,
> then flip the screen and cut the other. When they break it, they have to
> be REALLY careful, and they have to pay a licensing fee to the owner of
> the patent. Then, they seal up the cut edge and put the whole thing back
> together. The shop-bot has me wondering if this would be possible to do
> without hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment. Would it be
> possible to put a glass cutter on the shop bot and cut the glass in a
> perfectly straight line, then do it again on the back glass? That

I wouldn't do it on the 'bot - it's not precise enough.  The laser
engraver can be used to score the glass for breaking though.  It's used
that way when doing stained glass parts.

Cutting down an LCD is a very tricky process.  If memory serves, it also
requires a clean room.

> there on Friday. I have to go take measurements and pictures of the F-35
> Full scale mockup. I have to do that now that I am done designing our
> F-35 module. Go figure. NOW I get information.

Can you pass those dimensions and pics on to me? :)