[simpits-tech] AMP D-Sub Crimp tool for sale

alex alex at flyinglow.ca
Tue Mar 25 06:53:48 PDT 2008

>  Alex, is it for crimping ribbon style connectors?  Otherwise I can't
>  picture how the thing would work. :)

No, more like bell wire. I believe this tool was purchased by the previous owner back in the heyday of running serial cables out to dumb terminals. In an office with 100+ desks, making all those 9 pin serial connectors would have taken forever with a soldering iron.

I'll post some photos to my blog tonight. But basically the plugs have 2 rows of connectors. You slide the plug into the tool from the left until the first lines up with the hole. Stick a 22 (18-24?) guage wire into the hole in the tool, squeeze the trigger and the wire is pressed into the plug and crimped on - the tool automatically advances the plug to the next pin. Repeat. Once one side is done, pull the plug, turn it around and reinsert to do the alternate row of pins.

I estimate the time to wire a plug at 10-20% that of soldering - maybe less. It does require you use specific plugs - I'm not sure how much the blank plugs cost.

Alex