[simpits-tech] MCC838 - Obscure decade counter chip

alex alex at flyinglow.ca
Thu Mar 20 11:24:33 PDT 2008

Alex
http://www.flyinglow.ca

(Missed the group on my reply - not sure if this might benefit anyone else)

Ok. Will try that this weekend (schedule it too full to look at it tonight).

>  Something about it doesn't make sense..how do you have
>  the presets (SD1 etc.) configured?

I will have to double check, but I believe I have the presets set High (or they may be open - I could be wrong, but my gut feeling is that it didn't seem to matter).

>  Motorola scrapped these things for a reason...;)
>  How many do you have?

4 or 5. 2 are wired in already as they work for counting to 10 (0-9). The other 2 will only be used if I can figure out how to change the count. I actually have a lead on a bunch of free 7490's, so this may turn out to be an academic excercise.

>  I wonder if there is a timing issue, something with
>  propagation delay through the NAND while the clock
>  triggers...you might try gating the outputs through
>  flip-flops to align the clock edge with the input
>  edge..your count may go off by one cycle or may synch
>  but you would learn something either way.

Thanks for the tips.