[simpits-tech] MCC838 - Obscure decade counter chip

Alan Murray realclassclown at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 08:26:33 PDT 2008

Hello Alex,

A proper truth table in the Motorola documentation
would really help. Specifically the Q4(not) ties back
to the second gate input. When your reset drives that
high, the 2nd gate (essentially a NOR) correctly
drives Q2 and subsequently Q3 low which gives you the
output you are getting...

What does the counter do without the NAND gate in the
circuit? Same thing right? It is a decade counter, so
it seems to be set up in a divide-by-5 and a
divide-by-2. Think of it as the counter is counting to
5 and then setting the MSB high (Q4) and then it
counts to 5 again and sets it back to 0. That is what
it should be doing. If it does, you will not need your
NAND gate if it rolls over on five by itself.

Try it and let us know...and try putting your truth
table in this order Q4 Q3 Q2 Q1 instead of the other
way around...;)

Alan