[simpits-tech] Holy crap I'm heading to Japan....

Rob Hommel rhommel at mad.scientist.com
Wed Mar 5 00:13:00 PST 2008

Brian:

Spakane is about 6 hours driving from Tacoma. I wouldn't worry too much about survival training what they are going to do to you, I did when I was eleven years old. They dropped me from an old PT boat into the Gulf of Mexico in a little one man life raft along with about 20 other Airmen most of which were officers told to make it to shore, start a fire, prepare a meal one box of C rations. Yes it was that long ago. Then take a compass heading and carry my raft to a swamp and follow the stream, to a point on the river where we would make camp.

I was not the only eleven year old on this trip Sgt. Clark's son joined us as well. Randy and I killed a water moccasin along the way to camp so we ate that night some of the Airmen went without. The following day they taught Randy and I how to make a bow and arrows, create a trap from items in the survival packages we were given, given instructions on primitive fishing etc. Randy and I ran amok in the swamps as kids normally would. We ate whatever we could find, camping with dad was always fun. I have a brother and two sisters, one of my sisters is convinced that our family was an Air Force experiment. To find out what kids would eat.

BTW, my father says that if given the choice between starvation and eating a seagull, choose starvation.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel