[simpits-tech] Momentary Toggle switches

Jims Parambus Account jimsturs at parambus.com
Tue Jun 3 14:00:24 PDT 2008

Rick,

You have just described the principle behind the early electronic
ignition systems for car engines that still used points in their
distributor.
What it also covers is points switching for model railways.
It is commonly referenced as "CD" (capacitor discharge), and
yes it should work for you as long as you do not get relay bounce.
This little problem can be easily cured by a capacitor and resistor
in series across the relay contacts that will effectively "quench"
any spark caused by bounces.
You will need to experiment with the size capacitor that you use for
the main relay call-and-hold circuit. You need the relay to hold
ON for the time that the electronics connected to it see it as a
keystroke. Remember that some I/O devices scan the inputs so the
sopftware needs enough time to see the relay contacts closed for
at least one look during the scan period. Check the specs and
method of input detection of the interface you intend to use.

BTW, the switch needs to be a single-pole change-over with spring
bias to one position.

Jim.