[simpits-tech] panel gauge facade...

Freeman Pascal pascal at pascal.org
Thu Jan 31 12:50:25 PST 2008

Hello everyone,

It's time for me to stop lurking and start working on my own cockpit.
Since I cannot decide between building a Cessna 172 or a Barron 58
cockpit for my own use and training, I have decided I will build
both.  The Cessna will be my first effort since it is the simpler of
the two and probably has a higher probability of success and completion.

To keep construction and complexity down, I have decided to drive my
gauges with an LCD behind the panel.  While looking at
www.baron58.com, I noticed that he used gauge fronts from Simkits to
add a bit more realism to his cockpit.  I have not been able to get an
answer back from Simkits if they will sell me the gauge rings and
lens.  Does anyone else know of any source for gauge rings and lens?

I would like to try fitting a rotary encoder behind the gauges that
need adjustment knobs, so depth does matter since the LCD will be
behind the panel.

On another note, I will be using Amtel AVR microcontrollers to drive
my avionics stack and the GPS/weather radar.  Has anyone else done
this?  I would be very interested in your experiences.  I should be
buying my first AVR controller board and accessories from Futurlec
this payday (http://www.futurlec.com/ATMEGA_Controller.shtml).  Lots
of ports and lots of program space to play with.  The AVR appear to
much more cost effective than PICs for this kind of work.

-Freeman