[simpits-tech] missing video link...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Dec 15 13:06:14 PST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Justin Messenger wrote:

> Looks good! Was he flying MSFS? It looks like there is the  fightsim offset that
> I hate in MSFS. It positions you to the side like you are in a 747 captains
> chair. Using the projector with my F-4 the effect makes you feel like you have
> to fly a bit sideways down the runway to stay on the centerline and is REALLY
> annoying. Fixing that is on my "soon to do" list.

Yes, he was flying in MSFS 2004.  It was the default scenery around Pierce
County Airport (Thun Field).  The viewpoint wasn't offset to the side, but
it was very much too "high".  The horizon line splits the screen in half
and you get the distinct feeling you're about 2" off the runway in that
configuration.  I moved the projector down about a foot and that helped a
lot, but we lost an equal amount at the top of the screen.  I may take
some time to adjust the viewpoint in the default Cessna 172 in MSFS to
make it more compatible with the cockpit.

Even without the windscreen, the horizion line is too high.

> I am still fabricating the frame to hold the projector for my Phantom's forward
> view.  Next year I want to try rear projection for side views. Side views should
> kick butt in the fun area and I see your new cockpit can be configured the same.

Because of how the canopy sides are made, you could just hang a pair of
22" 16:9 flat panels on there, no projector needed.