[simpits-tech] New pics...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Dec 10 18:11:20 PST 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, David C. Allen wrote:

> Why not make a instrument panel "Mount" which holds the instrument
> the instrument panel. The actual instrument panel would be smaller,
> and would attach to "instrument panel mount" with vibration damping,
> (screw and spring). I know in the P51 the instrument panel is mounted
> this way using vibration damping.

Minus the damping feature, that's what I'm doing now.  There is an
instrument panel support arch that is attached to the bottom of the
windscreen frame.  The instrument panel attaches to this across the top
arc of the panel and attaches to the left & right interior ribs at the
bottom edges of the panel.

My concern is the amount of bowing you need to put into the panel to get
inserted where it needs to go.  I can prevent that by splitting the panel
in two vertically.  I should also add a support part along the bottom edge
of the panel made from 3/4" extruded angle material.