[simpits-tech] CRT/LCD backed gauges vs. mechanical gauges...

Freeman Pascal pascal at pascal.org
Sun Apr 27 10:39:18 PDT 2008

On Apr 27, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Gene Buckle wrote:

>> It's all a bit frustrating if you want an authentic, realistic
>> cockpit
>> layout that can be used as a trainer.  How are other folks dealing
>> with similar challenges with their own cockpits?
>>
> Freeman, you might want to take a peek at
> http://www.mikesflightdeckbooks.com.  He's self-published a great book
> called "Building Simulated Aircraft Instruments".  It's 400 pages
> and a
> great reference.  He's currently working on the second volume right
> now,
> including a digital to synchro converter that will allow people to
> drive
> real aircraft instruments from a PC very easily.

I have looked at his site in the past, and last night I looked at
after seeing it was hit for "air core gauge kits" google search.  I
was very pleased to see his work on DIY air gauges.  Similar thoughts
had been going through my head, finding appropriate magnets was my
hurdle - he's notes pointed me in the right direction.  I don't see an
email address for Mike, does anyone have one he wouldn't mind being
shared?

Justin mentioned that you had found a source for air-core gauges.
Could you pass that on?  What kind of prices were you seeing?

-Freeman