[simpits-tech] Visuals questions...

Sean Galbraith sean.g at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 1 04:22:45 PDT 2007

Gidday team,

I am still working away on my TA-4 Skyhawk sim, although it appears
that it may take till the next ice age before it's done...
Anyway, I have been thinking of the options for visual systems, from
the basic; single front/back projected, through to complex curved
screen, multi-projector setups.  I am quite keen on more than a
single view setup, but the operating costs of 3 projectors, for a
home cockpit, are a bit high (and I am cheap...).  I have been
looking at the idea of 3 large CRT's running through a Matrox
Triplehead2go, with suitably sized fresnel lenses in front, aiming to
produce a reasonably seamless image.
Has anyone had experience with this sort of setup?  I have seen
plenty of sims using a single large CRT + Fresnel, but none using 3.
As I see it, the challenges are finding the right size lens, plus
matching the perceived images on the 3 screens.
I'd be interested in thoughts, ideas and suggestions....

SeanG