[simpits-tech] ShopBot video...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Oct 7 10:15:35 PDT 2007

> Sweet as !  whats a shop bot worth in US dollars.

As configured it was somewhere north of $17k.  Suffice to say that I got
really lucky when we sold our old house. :)

> and do you have to programme in any pauses to limit cutter temps ?

No.  Like with any kind of CNC (or even manual) cutting tool, you've got
to make sure that the RPM of the cutter and the rate in which you run the
cutter through the material will create the optimal "chip load".  This is
a fancy term that describes the size of the chip created by one full
revolution of the cutter.  Each cutter type has a range of chip load
numbers that as long as you stay between, you'll be ok.  Correctly sized
chips carry away much of the heat generated by the cutting process.

When you're cutting metal or plastic however, it's a totally different
ball game. In those instances you can generate far too much heat for the
cut chips to remove by themselves so you need to use some kind of coolant.

When cutting steel you'll typically see the machine using what is known as
flood coolant.  This type of setup continually "floods" the bit and work
area with a steady stream of coolant.

The setup I'll be using when cutting aluminum will be high-velocity air
directed at the tool.  I've seen pictures of people using a similar setup
that adds a 50/50 mix of water an alcohol(sp) that resulted in frost
forming on the tool. :)

> I must admit when the word " oops " was used I would have used something
> else !  8-)

Hehe.  That actually wasn't a problem.  Turned out it did just what it was
supposed to do. :)  The original problem I had cutting the project was due
to the documentation not mentioning that you needed to manually start the
spindle.  When the program started, it promptly tried dragging the idle
cutter though the wood.  Fortunately I stopped it before it did much
damage.  I also made a mistake on 2nd run in how I set the zero point for
the Z (depth of cut) axis, resulting in two gouges in the wood.

I've got it all put together and I'll be posting pictures soon.