[simpits-tech] F-15 site update...

Brian Sikkema bjsikkem at gimail.af.mil
Wed Oct 3 04:56:58 PDT 2007

>I'm shocked that they left the last remaining example of a type sitting
>outside in the weather.  You'd better not leave it outside either!

Ever see the XC-99, Gene? Cargo transport based on the B-36. Same deal - one ever even MADE, let alone surviving, sat outside to
rust away. Thank goodness the Air Force Museum finally got their hands on it. It's in peices now, awaiting restoration. I never
saw it all together, but just looking at the chunks of it, you can tell it was a MASSIVE plane. Gonna be a massive restoration
project, too...

But as for plane abuse, nothing tops the Memphis Belle... they got their hands on that, now, too, and they're doing a fine job
with it. But the fine citizens of Memphis gave them quite a job. They said if it were any other B-17 they would have just written
it off as scrap... :( It's only because of it's history that they're even bothering to restore it.

Brian