[simpits-tech] running sims under vista

Alan Murray realclassclown at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 06:40:06 PDT 2007

I second Ido that you might need a new graphics
card...

I'm running FSX Deluxe on Vista Ultimate 64 with 4 Gig
of Corsair Ram, Dual Core Quad Intel...I tried to tax
my system by running a DVD burn, FSX, and several
other processes..I've never seen more than 50% of my
ram used. When running FSX, I'm usually running at
about 32% Ram. (I've got a G15 Logitech keyboard with
a seperate lcd display on the keyboard itself showing
RAM & CPU usage, temperature, etc.).

I'm also running...

MS Combat Flight Sim 3 - Battle for Europe
Redline Air Racing
Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
MS Train Simulator (doesn't exit properly)
Airfix Dogfighter (can't get flightstick working
proper but can use mouse/keyboard)

I've gotten Jane's F-15 Sim working (a bit old) but
most other Jane's simulations that i have won't run on
Vista (they crap out at the authentication check even
on the real cds). Jane's sims that won't run on Vista
(yet)..

USAF
Israeli AF
F-18
Fleet Command
688 Hunter/Killer

I've been systematically checking older software
against Vista Ultimate 64...most will run, sometimes
you need to set it in the file properties to run under
32 bit if it doesn't default that way.

None of the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, etc.
etc. work which is a shame.

Today, I bring a Linux box home and begin exploring
what sims are available on that platform...anybody
running Linux for their sims?

Cheers,
Alan