[simpits-tech] Cockpit builders quote....

Joseph Fagner falcon4 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 12:46:57 PDT 2007

IIRC, one atmosphere measured in a column of water is 14 psi, adding 5-10
psi through a mask would hardly blow it off your face.  I can generate 5-10
psi (probably more) just blowing up a balloon.

If you think about the combat edge system, you'd need more than 1.2 psi
generated in a high G situation to even be able to breath.  The breathing
system of any jet will generate similar pressures (relatively speaking,
probably not exactly similar but the mechanism is analogous) to that of a
scuba system since you are dealing with having to expand the chest cavity
against an opposing force...G's for the pilot, pressure for the diver.

Finding the conversion for 1 atmosphere to in-H20 is 407.  So this manual
says a pilot shouldn't breath at pressure above 16 in-H2o, yet I'm breathing
at 407 in-H2o right now??

I'd double check those figures.

Jay