[simpits-tech] BI hardware interfacing...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Feb 20 19:18:48 PST 2007

> Did you not catch the you tube vid of my IP1310 in action?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKg11SHZZ5A

Very nice!

> We still have a couple blanking issues to work out and the rotation of the
> damn display (which I have a circuit for but haven't tested) because in
> their infinite wisdom, the makers put the damn deflection coils at 45 degree
> angles instead of up/down/across like every other display on Earth.

Ouch.  Never dull, eh? :)

> This display was done with his Electron flux and a small DAC wired in after
> the output.  Really simple to hook up.
>
> We're pretty sure the blanking issue is due to his electronics being faster
> than this display can keep up with.  He can slow down the drawing but you
> start getting flicker as you loose the blanking becomes normal.

Those tubes typically have a very slow phosphor in them.

> Leo is planning on working on a new drawing scheme that will be even crisper
> than this after he's done with a few other goodies.

Cool!

> Do you know what kinds of voltages are needed to drive the TEWS?  Any sort
> of pinout on the defection coils?  Basically the coils in the IP1310
> consists of 4 pins, there's a blanking pin, a ground pin, +5v and +28 v
> pins.

I haven't pulled any info off of the tube at all.  The connectors are all
potted and I didn't want to dig into it until I was ready to start working
on it.  It's waaay in the back of the container right now, so it'll be a
while before I get to it.

If I can find a 4" round tube with docs, I'll just gut the chassis and
replace the existing tube & electronics.

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"