[simpits-tech] Lo Mid Hi Fidelity

KD chevello at rcn.com
Wed Sep 27 18:45:26 PDT 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:46:54 -0700 (PDT),
<simpits-tech-request at simpits.org> wrote:

Ido,

There are several different definitions of what fidelity is in sim
cockpits. FAA has it's own, there is one for the military, and we have our
own which relates usually to contractual specifications that vary with
each one.

So, when I say "Low Fidelity" what I mean would be minimal controls having
to do with basic flight, not necessarily an exact replica of any
particular aircraft, but having at least basic controls for what one would
be trying to learn in the simulator. Visuals are usually limited to a
monitor out the windscreen, and sounds are basic for things like gear and
flaps. In the cockpit, software aside, it would be something like an
Akers-Barnes or one of those metal frames with a seat and a monitor with
shelves to put your HOTAS and pedals.

"Mid" or "Medium Fidelity" in my experience, would be a replica at least
in shape of a particular aircraft. Flight instruments and controls would
be there and in the right relative locations as whatever aircraft is being
simulated. Instruments are usually displayed on LCD panels behind a bezel
that represents the aircraft. Out the window views might be wider,
possibly a dome or collimated to give better immersion to the trainee.
Motion might have an extra DOF, like heave or it might have more degrees
of travel. This would have more cockpit details, like panels and controls
that may not function, but they would be represented to give a bit better
immersion. The flight nodel would be less generic also. Something more
like some of the WIP Falcon cockpits I have seen out there where there are
stickers instead of actual side panels, with maybe one or two switches in
the side panels if they are needed.

"High Fidelity" is where my next work project lives. When I say high" I
mean "feels like someone parked an F-whatever in my garage, and I'm flying
it" All instruments and flight controls exist and are in the right spots
so that a pilot familiar with the type can find them right where he
expects them to be. We don't usually make all of these active depending on
the contract. For instance, I haven't yet had to figure out how to
ramp-start an F-18 woth the correct magnetically held switch for the
starter. Usually our sims are intended to be used to teach spatial
disorientation and unusual attitude recovery, not ramp starts or emergency
procedures like hydraulic failures. Either way, the switches and controls
are at least there and in the right spot. So, in an F-18, you might not be
able to pull and turn the landing gear handle for emergency extension, but
the handle feels right when you are using it normally. Sort of like Gene
is working on, or like some of Chris Woodul's cockpits.

When you start talking FAA Level D, you have basically an EXACT replica of
a cockpit on a motion base with visuals that encompass everything you
could see out the windows of the cockpit. Generally, everything in one of
those does what it would do in a real aircraft. If there is a button that
squirts water on the windows and gos "ding" when it does it, then there is
a dinging window washer button in the sim. And if the aircraft slows 2
knots and pitches down half a degree when you press the dinger, the sim
wil replicate that too.

So, I hope that wasn't too rambly for everyone. I'm going to go try again
to go cut some wood. My Yak-3 is calling me for a flight tonight. It might
be time to go smash a couple BF-109s.

Anybody else around here fly IL-2?