[simpits-tech] driving real instruments..

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Sep 17 16:02:25 PDT 2006

Roy Coates wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Gene Buckle wrote:
>
>> Much to my surprise, I found this today:
>> http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/upcoming_book.htm
>>
>> Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.  Mike has gone off
>> and designed what appears to be an easily built (single sided pcb)
>> Digital to Synchro converter!  This device is THE most important part if
>> you plan on driving real instruments in your cockpit.
>
> Ah, that means pulling em to bits to install motors. I want to drive them
> 100% intact. Makes life more.... 'fun'.

You're not understanding Roy.  Real instruments are driven by 400Hz AC
Synchro motors.  What Mike has designed is an apparently inexpensive
method of driving a synchro from a digital signal.  Prior to now the
only DS converters I've seen were in 18 pin DIP packages and cost $900
*Each*.

This means that you put one of these little doohickeys between your real
instrument and your computer, add some wire magic and viola!  real
instrument in the cockpit. :)

>> I love those heatsinks. *laughs*
>
> Aw come on - I'll bet you've run things with odd heatsinks!  I've run
> 7812's with the tab in the vice before now!

Heheh.  That's pretty sad.

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"