[simpits-tech] Nasty seats

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Nov 2 08:05:33 PST 2006

> I saw that you had done the plywood seat thing, and it came out pretty
> nice. I even downloaded the plans for it so I could compare with your
> measurements.

I've got the 1/6 scale F-15C cockpit made by BBI.  It's got an ejection
seat in it that is a beautifully detailed model.  The good part is that it
comes out easily.  I'm going to be using that to build a model in Rhino3D.
The eventual goal is to be able to make all the flat pattern drawings I
need and feed 'em to my ShopBot.  If it works out I may provide seat kits
to other people.

> just isn't time enough in the day (as one could see by looking at all of
> MY unfinished projects) Thanks, for the effort though.

Got it (mostly) done.  Check your email. :)

> Here's a thought for graphics. Fastsigns. It's who we use at work for
> all of the exterior graphics on the sims, and I have been using them for
> the low-fi parts of the cockpits I have been doing. Usually they can
> take a pdf file and print it right onto vinyl and you get really nice
> looking graphics for fairly cheap. They might even be able to do the
> cutout vinyl stuff for exterior detail, or even masks to use for
> painting the details on the exterior.

For printed placards, Fastsigns would be a good choice.  However since
I've got an Epilog Mini-24, I should be able to do all the individual
letter signs and warning graphics myself.  I've been doing some research
on doing vinyl cutting with the ShopBot and there's a blade holder that
you can chuck into the spindle that will allow you to cut graphics the
size of the table (48" x 96" in my case).  Rob really wants me to cut out
the lettering for "Hangar 18" to put on the main door. :)

> Another thought for those who want backlit panels, but don't want to
> mess with all the fixturing and cutting and light blocks involved in
> using bulbs or LEDs. Electroluminescent sheet. There are several places
> that have it in sheets of different widths where you can cut and trim to
> size and shape of your panels, connect it to an inverter, and have nice
> soft backlighting for your engraved panels. This works especially well
> on front engraved panels. Peter Cos' stuff would probably do well with
> it if it is made from a translucent plastic.

The only caveat with EL is the fact that you're running it at 110V AC.
Combine that with someone that is a newbie to cockpit building and
electronics in general...and ewww.

This winter I'm going to be working on building new panels for the F-15,
both replacements for some of the more hangar-worn ones and ones that I
don't have at all.  If those turn out as I expect, I may start offering
military jet panels in either the Type 5 or Type 7 configuration.  We'll
have to see how it goes.

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"

Proud owner of 80-0007