[simpits-tech] Those pilots are good

Andre Breytenbach a_breytie at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 10:32:29 PST 2006

I have seen a light plane make a "hover landing" in a
gale at an air force base many years ago. Whenever he
chopped power for the flare - he went backwards!
Eventually he brought her down to the runway under
power and groundcrew secured the plane before he could
pull up the flaps and cut power.

That night several planes jumped their chocks and I
saw a parked DC4 pull a Hobart backwards. Many
tiedowns were broken and several DC4 tail stays were
damaged. All reachable groundcrew had to come in to
help hanger the smaller planes and as many DC3 as
possible. Some hangers had planes and choppers so
tightly packed together that it took 2 days to get
them all out afterwards.

Hats off to those crazy or good enough to land planes
SAFELY in those conditions!

Andre SimNut