[simpits-tech] Need info on typical GA cockpit dimensions and touch screens

Freeman Pascal pascal at pascal.org
Sun Feb 12 12:44:43 PST 2006

Hello,

Well, I've been bitten by the cockpit bug and I needs some info.
I've decided to build a GA cockpit simulator, mostly as a procedural
trainer modeled the aircraft I would most likely have access to for
training (Cessna 172/182, Diamond Katanna).  To simplify the design
and to allow for reconfiguring for multiple aircraft I have decided
to use LCD displays with touch screens.  I figure two displays
mounted into the cockpit panel would handle all the gauges and comm/
nav gear.  I would use an USB interface for handling ignition,
lights, yoke, mixture.  I could even make the switch panels swappable
if needed.

I'm interested in any feed back from folks who have gone this route.
How responsive and useful were the touch screens for selecting gauge
bugs for adjustments?  Did you use 15", 17", or larger LCD displays?
What advantages/drawbacks did you discover using LCD displays.  What
would you have done differently?

-Freeman

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
     -- Sir Winston Churchill